Martelize woke up one morning with pain in her legs. Doctors suspected a virus, infection or inflammation in her spinal cord and this left her paralyzed. This all happened by the age of 14. Martelize has been in a wheelchair for over 20 years due to this illness she experienced as a teen. Through her seemingly discomforting situation, she felt complete freedom and joy and chose to look at life through the lens of optimism. In 2012 she started the Pink Penguin project in support of charities that challenge her outside of her comfort zone. Via this channel she’s undertaken a number of extreme adventures including kayaking to Robben Island and visiting the forests of Rwanda to see gorillas, all without the use of her legs and that is what inspires me.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Some questions I asked:
10:36 How can we get beyond our life restrictions?
18:36 What does it mean to have war on comfort zones?
24:38 Why do people think and behave the way they do?
28:38 What are your fears?
31:35 Has restrictions on your life helped you and is it helpful?
35:15 How do you deal with indecisiveness?
43:09 Actionable advice to change our perspective on life?
- Go through troublesome times one step at a time
- Use stubbornness to your advantage and move forward in life
- Say yes to opportunities without knowing how you will get it done
- The secret to happiness has to do with the war on comfort zones
- You absolutely need to challenge yourself outside of your comfort zone to grow
- Take the necessary steps, although they might be scary, or be unhappy for the rest of your life
- STRUGGLE is one of the best character builders in the world
If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later – Richard Branson
Reach out to Martelize:
- Website: http://www.martelizebrink.co.za
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/martelizebrink/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MartelizeBrinkRSG/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/MartelizeBrink
HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT THE PODCAST? This show grows and impacts people only because of awesome people like you!
If you missed the introductory episode for Exploring Possibility, listen to it here.
Send in a voice message to connect with me: https://anchor.fm/exploringpossibility/message